Early detection of mutans streptococci in infants (2003)
- USP affiliated authors: ROSA, ODILA PEREIRA DA SILVA - FOB ; PAVARINI, AYMAR - FOB
- USP Schools: FOB; FOB
- Subjects: INFÂNCIA; ERUPÇÃO DENTÁRIA; STREPTOCOCCUS MUTANS
- Language: Inglês
- Abstract: Objective: The early establishment of the mutans streptococci (MS) in infants and variables, that could influence early detection of the MS were studied. Methods: Thirty-nine mothers (mean age=20.4 years) of the infants were of a low socioeconomic level, presented with at least 20 teeth and no active decay, had not taken antibiotic for 3 months and were the infant's primary caretaker. Mothers and infants were from Bauru, Sao Paulo, Brazil. The infants were 7 months old and presented with normal development. The levels of the MS in infants and mothers were measured by rotating a spatula on the tongue 10 times while bathing it with saliva (Stripmutans Dentocult). The mothers answered a questionnaire on variables that could influence early detection of the MS in infants. Variables included in a logistic regression model to predict early detection at moderate to high levels of the MS in infants were: mothers' MS levels, breast-feeding status; use of the bottle at night; infants'antibiotic usage; household density; mother sleeps at night with infant; mother tastes spoon before feeding infant; and mother kisses infant frequently. Results: The prevalence of MS-positive infants (score I) was 51%. Only 5% of the infants presented with high (score 3) MS scores. Nine infants had erupted teeth and in six of them the MS were detected. A MS score of 3 was only detected in infants with teeth. In those with no teeth (n=30) MS was detected in 14 (36%). Logistic regressionrevealed that the only variable associated with earlydetection of moderate to high levels of the MS was the infant still being breast-fed (p=0.048). Conclusions: This study suggests that interference with MS colonization in infants of this population needs to be initiated prior to eruption of teeth
- Conference titles: General Session of the IADR
Título: Journal of Dental Research
Citescore - 2017: 5.05
SJR - 2017: 2.302
SNIP - 2017: 2.096
ABNTBRETZ, W; ROSA, Odila Pereira da Silva; SILVA, S; et al. Early detection of mutans streptococci in infants. Journal of Dental Research[S.l: s.n.], 2003.
APABretz, W., Rosa, O. P. da S., Silva, S., Pavarini, A., Bodzenski, J. B., Weissfeld, L., & Loesche, W. J. (2003). Early detection of mutans streptococci in infants. Journal of Dental Research. Chicago: C. V. Mosby.
NLMBretz W, Rosa OP da S, Silva S, Pavarini A, Bodzenski JB, Weissfeld L, Loesche WJ. Early detection of mutans streptococci in infants. Journal of Dental Research. 2003 ; 82 B-352. June 2003.
VancouverBretz W, Rosa OP da S, Silva S, Pavarini A, Bodzenski JB, Weissfeld L, Loesche WJ. Early detection of mutans streptococci in infants. Journal of Dental Research. 2003 ; 82 B-352. June 2003.
- Infection levels of mutans steptococci in mother: cross-cultural e temporal comparisons
- Determinacion de la liberacion de iones de fluor a partir del sellante fluorshied (dentsply)
- Aspectos clínicos e cirúrgicos dos dentes supranumerários
- Emprego de coroas totais de aço inoxidável em odontopediatria
- Em tempo de crise, cooperação de todos
- Avaliacao microscopica de selantes com e sem carga inorganica e de suas raizes polimericas (tags)
- Microscope evaluation of sealant with and without inorganic particles of the matrix and polymeric roots
- Racionalidade no emprego de selantes
- Luxação intrusiva em dentes permanentes com rizogênese completa. Influência da reposição imediata. Avaliação microscópica em cães
- Uso sistémico de flúor para la gestante: riesgos o beneficios
Informações sobre o Citescore
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas