Nails as biomarkers of fluoride in children of fluoridated communities (2004)
- USP affiliated authors: BASTOS, JOSE ROBERTO DE MAGALHAES - FOB ; BUZALAF, MARILIA AFONSO RABELO - FOB
- USP Schools: FOB; FOB
- Subjects: FLÚOR; UNHAS; CRIANÇAS; BIOMARCADORES
- Language: Inglês
- Abstract: Purpose: The objective of this study was to verify the use of nails as biomarkers of chronic fluoride (F) exposure from the diets of children living in communities with negligibly or optimally fluoridated water. Methods: Fifteen 2- to 6-year-old children living in Bauru-Sao Paulo (fluoridated) and 15 lifelong residents of Itapolis-Sao Paulo (nonfluoridated) participated in the study. Fluoride concentrations in nails and duplicate diet were analyzed with the electrode, following hexamethyldisiloxane (HMDS)-facilitated diffusion. Data were analyzed by student's t-test and linear regression (P<.05). Results: Mean fluoride concentrations (iug/g) in fingernails and toenails of Baum children were 3.56 '+ OU -' 1.3 and 2.81 '+ OU -' 1.29, respectively, and for Itapolis children 2.29 '+ OU -' 1.25 and 1.58 '+ OU -' 0.59, respectively. The differences between Bauru and Itapolis children, as well as between fluoride concentrations in fingernails and toenails, were statistically significant. The estimated fluoride intake from the diet was significantly higher for Baum children (0.55 '+ OU -' 0.61 mg) when compared to Itapolis children (0.09 '+ OU -' 0.06 mg). A significant positive correlation was found between the mean of fingernail and toenail fluoride concentrations and estimated fluoride intake from the diet (r=0.57). Conclusions: This study's preliminary data suggests that fingernails and toenails may be used as biomarkers of chronic fluoride exposure from thediet. Additional studies are necessary to determine the predictive values, sensitivity, and specificity of this biomarker so that nails are used to differentiate children at the age of dental fluorosis risk and who live in communities with negligibly or optimally fluoridated water
Título: ASDC journal of dentistry for children
Citescore - 2017: 0
SJR - 2017: 0
SNIP - 2017: 0
ABNTLEVY, Flávia Mauad; BASTOS, José Roberto de Magalhães; BUZALAF, Marília Afonso Rabelo. Nails as biomarkers of fluoride in children of fluoridated communities. Journal of Dentistry for Children, Chicago, The Society, v. 71, n. 2, p. 121-125, 2004.
APALevy, F. M., Bastos, J. R. de M., & Buzalaf, M. A. R. (2004). Nails as biomarkers of fluoride in children of fluoridated communities. Journal of Dentistry for Children, 71( 2), 121-125.
NLMLevy FM, Bastos JR de M, Buzalaf MAR. Nails as biomarkers of fluoride in children of fluoridated communities. Journal of Dentistry for Children. 2004 ; 71( 2): 121-125.
VancouverLevy FM, Bastos JR de M, Buzalaf MAR. Nails as biomarkers of fluoride in children of fluoridated communities. Journal of Dentistry for Children. 2004 ; 71( 2): 121-125.
- Efetividade de dentifrícios contendo clorexidina: um ensaio clínico randomizado
- Concentração de flúor em água mineral engarrafada e de fontes naturais das cidades de Lindóia, Águas de Lindóia e Serra Negra, Brasil
- A interferência do óleo de amêndoa na aderência da placa bacteriana dentária
- Concentração de flúor em água de abastecimento, água mineral engarrafada e de fontes naturais da cidade de Lins-SP
- Purificadores de água domésticos e concentração de fluor na água
- Nail as biomarkers of chronic exposure to fluoride from diet
- Avaliação de ph e concentrações de flúor total: iônico e solúvel de dentifrícios comercialmente no Brasil
- Efeito da interrupção na fluoretação da água na prevalência de fluorose dentária em Jaú: SP
- Unha como biomarcador de exposição crônica ao flúor a partir da dieta em comunidades fluoretadas e não fluoretadas
- Cinética do flúor na saliva total após escovação com diferentes dentifrícios fluoretados
Informações sobre o Citescore
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas