Use of platforms in product development: a case study in brazilian software industry (2014)
- USP affiliated authors: SALERNO, MARIO SERGIO - EP ; SPINOLA, MAURO DE MESQUITA - EP
- USP Schools: EP; EP
- Subjects: DESENVOLVIMENTO DE PRODUTOS; DESENVOLVIMENTO DE SOFTWARE (PRODUÇÃO); INOVAÇÕES TECNOLÓGICAS
- Language: Inglês
- Abstract: The role of product and service platforms within companies and in mediating the activities of business conglomerates or ecosystems has been widely recognized as being of great importance for the management processes of new businesses, in the development of new products, and in innovation. The objective of the present work is to help understanding, in the studies conducted by the scientific community and through a case study, what are the benefits found by Brazilian software companies in the use of platforms for software development and associated services. Firstly, an analysis of the evolution of the scientific research on the concept of “platform” was carried out, exploring this concept broadly for a range of different industries, but also seeking to investigate this subject more specifically for the case of software production. A bibliometric methodology was employed for a quantitative analysis and identification of the most relevant references, and a subsequent qualitative content analysis allowed the establishment of an analysis model that gave support to the case study. Analyzing a leading Brazilian company in the national market of software production it was observed that the benefits gained by this company, which uses a platform as the basis of its products, go beyond the improvement of its capacity to produce software efficiently, also allowing the construction of a business model that stimulates external suppliers to develop solutions that complement the company’s product portfolio. In this sense the contribution of this paper is to present and use a model of analysis for verification of these two perspectives. The analysis also showed that the term "platform" still retains the interest of researchers, and that it deserves to be better investigated in the context of Brazilian companies, justifying the analysis of the evolution of the literature as a starting point for deeper futures studies about this theme in the Brazilian scenario
- Título do periódico: Anais
- Conference titles: Congresso Internacional de Gestão da Tecnologia e Sistemas de Informação - CONTECSI
ABNTFACIN, Ana Lúcia Figueiredo; SALERNO, Mario; SPÍNOLA, Mauro. Use of platforms in product development: a case study in brazilian software industry. Anais.. São Paulo: TECSI/EAC/FEA/USP, 2014.
APAFacin, A. L. F., Salerno, M., & Spínola, M. (2014). Use of platforms in product development: a case study in brazilian software industry. In Anais. São Paulo: TECSI/EAC/FEA/USP.
NLMFacin ALF, Salerno M, Spínola M. Use of platforms in product development: a case study in brazilian software industry. Anais. 2014 ;
VancouverFacin ALF, Salerno M, Spínola M. Use of platforms in product development: a case study in brazilian software industry. Anais. 2014 ;
- The evolution of the platform concept: a systematic review
- Processos de testes independentes de software: uma experiência brasileira em serviços
- A evolução da pesquisa do conceito “plataforma": um estudo bibliométrico
- Aplicação de QFD para a especificação de um sistema de informações
- Customização de sistemas globais de gestão empresarial: uma visão de qualidade de software
- Diretrizes para o desenvolvimento de software de sistemas embutidos
- Identificação e uso de fatores diferenciados para definir e caracterizar sistema embutido
- Requisitos de usabilidade em projetos de interface centrado no usuário de software de dispositivos móveis
- Seleção de sistemas ERP: uma interpretação dos métodos de decisão
- Um modelo de mensuração da contribuição da gestão do conhecimento nos resultados organizacionais.
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas